Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pumpkin Update...and a Recipe!

Well my pumpkin woes have been for nothing...United Supermarkets has canned pumpkin on the shelves today. My brother-in-law, the one who told me he wasn't even sure his store would be getting some, texted me this morning to inform me that United has indeed received pumpkin. After I just spent $26 to have organic pumpkin shipped to my door... :) I even bought 4 more cans at the store tonight.

What a great lesson in the value of having food storage this "pumpkin scare" has been for me! The church that I belong to, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, continually counsels us as members to build up a supply of food - a years worth if possible. Even for small shortages like pumpkin, if you have your supply built up, there is no need to worry. I now know what will be a staple in my food storage... ;)

With all that being said...I will leave you with a new pumpkin recipe! (The one that drained the last of my pumpkin supply) Some of you may need it after spending $26 on canned pumpkin...

If you love bagels with cream cheese, and of course pumpkin, you will love this recipe! It comes from a new food blog I found, One Ordinary Day.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Beat all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. Makes 1-1/2 cups. Letting it sit for as long as you can before using it really blends the flavors and makes for a more tasty cream cheese. Enjoy with your favorite bagels!

No comments:

Post a Comment