Monday, May 16, 2011

PREHISTORIC but not EXTINCT: A 50th Birthday Party

My dad celebrated his 50th birthday last Friday. Here are some of the party details:


Theme: Prehistoric but not extinct was the slogan we used, black and white color scheme for decorating, animal print decorations but with a masculine twist.

The centerpiece for the dining room table: The white candles in the middle are surrounded with black river rocks and tied with zebra print ribbon and jute. On the left is a glass jar of white mints and one of black licorice in keeping with the black and white theme. A black tablecloth was used with 1-1/2 yards of animal print fabric bunched in the middle.

The small candy/snack buffet on the entry way table. We used black and white food: Oreos, white marshmallows drizzled with chocolate to look like zebra print, more white mints, and white chocolate dipped pretzels. And of course to pay homage to my love for ribbon, each glass jar is tied with coordinating ribbon. Some zebra print candle holders were used for mood lighting.

The only semi-decent picture of my dad with his birthday cake... And me looking nervous that he was going to drop the cake by the way he was holding it!

You can see the gift we gave my dad on the floor next to him: A big frame with pictures of all the houses he has lived in here in Lubbock. My dad has a hobby of building new houses and moving every couple of years. In the 19 years we have lived in Lubbock my parents' have owned 6 different houses. It was nice to see him get a little nostalgic about each house and reminice about the memories made at each house.

It was a great party with lots of yummy food! We had a chicken fajita buffet with all the fixin's, shaved ice from Bahama Bucks (courtesy of my sister who works there), and a delicious chocolate cake with rasberry filling. I would say my dad's 50th was a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment