Sunday, December 19, 2010

A New Christmas Tradition

I love that my son is old enough this year to be really enjoying Christmas! He keeps saying things like, "This is the BEST Christmas!", or "It's Christmas time, Mom!", with all the enthusiasm his 3 year old body can express. My son also really enjoys reading stories. Every night as part of his nightly routine we read 2 stories together.

So we decided to start a new tradition this year, and follow in the footsteps of my favorite blogger Melissa. You can see Melissa's idea HERE. I went through our book collection and picked out all the Christmas/Winter books we owned. Then I wrapped them all with Christmas paper (no bow or ribbon, not the greatest wrap job, but it works.) and put them in a Christmas basket next to my son's rocking chair. Spencer gets to open one every night through Christmas Eve and we started about 2 weeks ago. HE LOVES IT! He gets SO excited to open a book every night for story time. And the nice thing about it: you can wrap just as many books as you have, and start that many nights before Christmas - don't think you have to have a ton of Christmas books to do this. Here are some of the books we've been reading:

My favorite? I Believe in Santa Claus. It is our first Christmas reading it and I love the message it shares. I also love Snowmen at Night and The Tale of Three Trees. And of course we will be reading The Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve. It was a tradition in my family growing up...

Leave me a comment and let me know what your favorite Christmas story is. I would love to have some ideas for future Christmas book purchases... Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. That is a really great idea! I love the story of the 3 trees! We have a book called snowflake gently that I really like-it's a true story of the guy that first discovered that all snowflakes are different. Not sure really why I like it so much but I do and it's more Wintery...not christmasy...anyways I want to do this tradition next year!

    ReplyDelete