Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pumpkin Meets Bacon


If you have read my blog for all of 2 seconds you know that I am madly in love with pumpkin. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin bars, pumpkin cookies...I love everything about pumpkin desserts. Seriously. (Carrie, if you are reading this, please avert your eyes. I know how you dislike pumpkin. :)


My fellow blogger and food lover, Kimberly, sent me a link for a pumpkin recipe about 2 months ago. She suggested that I try it... Pumpkin Caramel Bars - with Bacon. Yep. Bacon. I must say there was a slight "ick" factor at the thought of my beloved pumpkin mingling with bacon. And the picture that was posted of the bars was not that enticing either...but I kept thinking about the recipe...and wondering. Could it be good? I like pumpkin. And I like bacon. But could I like them together?


So after 2 months of contemplation, I made them. Kimberly, you will be pleased to know that I loved them. I was completely surprised. They were moist, not too dense (When I looked at the batter before baking them I thought they would be too dense), the frosting was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G, and the bacon didn't add a bacony flavor - just a subtle saltiness. I made the recipe true to the original with one exception: I used half and half in the frosting instead of heavy cream because that is what I had on hand. Oh, and I didn't refrigerate the bars before eating them. I don't think I would like them as much if I refrigerated them. This is one recipe you should definitely try for yourself. I would love to get your feedback.


You can find the recipe here: http://noblepig.com/2010/10/05/pumpkin-caramel-bars-with-bacon.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad that you made the Pumpkin Bars and especially that you loved them. I have to admit that I recommended the recipe to you before I tried the recipe myself. When I finally did make a pan, I wasn't crazy about the first bite I tasted. But I took them to a party, and I polished off the leftovers. I couldn't stop myself. They're addictive!

    I always think of you when I see a pumpkin recipe now.

    ReplyDelete