Friday, December 30, 2011

Secrets of a SPECTACULAR sugar cookie!

This post comes a little late for your holiday baking, but I just had to share my top 2 sugar cookie tips since I have seen many a sugar cookie misfortune this holiday season.

First, let's think about what a sugar cookie is. According to Wikipedia, "A sugar cookie is a cookie made from sugar, flour, butter, eggs, vanilla, and either baking powder or baking soda. Sugar cookies may be formed by hand or rolled and cut into shapes. They are commonly decorated with frosting, sprinkles, or a combination of both. In North America, decorated sugar cookies are particularly popular during holidays such as Christmas and Halloween." May I point out one thing - a sugar cookie is made with BUTTER. Not shortening. This is very important for the end result to be ridiculously decadent and just what you've always wanted.

My standards are high. I would say that 9 out of 10 sugar cookies I see during the holidays do not meet my standards (not a very scientific ratio - I just know it is a lot!). Eating a sugar cookie can be a blissful event if you follow these 2 tips:

#1 - Roll 'em thick! No thin sugar cookies here. The thicker the cookie the more heavenly it will feel in your mouth - seriously. Also, a nice thick layer of frosting compliments a plump cookie.

#2 - Do NOT overcook sugar cookies! This is by far the most important rule to sugar cookie making and the rule I see broken the most. Resist the urge to leave the cookies in longer! You will look at them and think, "Those are not quite done. They need another minute or two." But DON'T DO IT! Take them out. Trust me. See below? The cookie below was left in the oven too long...

The cookie below is perfect! Sugar cookies are not meant to be brown. If they are brown around the edges, you have cooked them too long. Sugar cookies are not meant to be crispy in any way. There is nothing more disappointing to see than a beautifully decorated sugar cookie that is brown and crunchy.


Now everyone has their favorite recipe but I think mine is the best sugar cookie recipe. In fact I've had people say my sugar cookies are the best they've ever had. My sister's boyfriend says I should sell them and make a business out of sugar cookies. Just sayin'. If you are interested in my recipe, leave me a comment. If there is enough interest I will post it here on the blog. I hope these tips help you make amazing sugar cookies because that is how it was meant to be.

And if you ever need an idea for some entertainment at a party or get-together, for children or adults...bake up a batch of sugar cookies, make some frosting, set out some sprinkles and sparkling sugar and watch your guests have a blast decorating cookies. Seriously. Even adults love decorating sugar cookies. I have done this numerous times this holiday season and it has been a hit every time!

Do you think YOU have the best sugar cookie recipe? Let me know, because I would love to put it to the test! Happy baking!

4 comments:

  1. Of course I would Love your recipes! I am with you on all those tips. I am the one that says "just another minute" and blast it's over done! I love your tips! I am going to make these for a little valentine get together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, first, I couldn't agree more with your rules! I think people over bake almost every sweet there is. Second, um, please please please may I have your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want your recipe too, please, please, my kids love sugar cookies and I can't ever make them right, so if you'll share I'd love to try yours, Thanks and um... we miss you guys, hope everything is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delish! I'm a new GFC follower :)
    xo
    www.domesticsweetheart.com

    ReplyDelete